Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Importance of Allowing Yourself Permission To Write Complete & Utter Dog Doo :)

Robert Frost once said that sometimes he wrote great things and other times we wrote complete & utter dog doo.  Why is this statement significant?  Because you've got to allow yourself to write some dog doo before you can write the great stuff. :)

And this requires some poetic license: However, you've got to know the rules of grammar before you can break them. So, for example, if I've got a sentence starting with the word "because," it's not because I'm some ignorant sod.  It's because I'm using poetic license. The other reason is because this is a blog, & thus, less formal writing is required.

So there. Haha.

If we get all tensed up & put pressure on ourselves to only write when it's easy, or when we know we're only going to spin gold, then ironically, the well springs of inspiration will often magically dry up and disappear.  However, if we just let ourselves write, no matter what comes out, we have a better chance of hitting the "bullseye" -- i.e., moments of great writing.

If only we can let ourselves be free and just write.  Don't think too much.  Just write.  Write from your gut.  From instinct. Write about your imperfect, messy life.  Because we aren't frozen in time.  We move through it, ever changing.

Write about what is, about ideas, about what you & other are. Versus just sitting there, waiting for the words to pop out onto the page in some perfect form.  The secret is to just let go.

Have faith in your abilities, & take a big flying leap into the Unknown.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, MM. I told you the other day that I've loved this text, and it's true. Love the idea of writing, of exposing some feelings, thoughts, etc. Pitty writing in a foreign (and universal...) language as English is not so easy:( I wish I could "just let go".
    Do you mind if I use some of your texts with my students? You have my word (if it worths something) that I'll do an honest translation and mention the source.
    See you,
    Mônica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Monica. Just so you know, the act of writing about my feelings, whether in prose or poetry, or whether in foreign or native tongue, isn't exactly easy for me to do either. I am much more comfortable & accustomed to writing about rational topics versus emotional ones.

    Frankly, one of the challenges of writing about emotions is that it's all about timing: It can sometimes take a while to be in the right state of mind to capture the essence of the feelings.

    Plus, the other challenge is that the translation of those feelings into written form takes a lot of courage to do. That's why I write & Blip anonymously. I want to give myself permission to speak openly & freely.

    To answer your question: Sure, you are welcome to use my writing in your class. I am honored that you like my writing enough to share it with your students. Hope you find it helpful to you & your students!

    Warm regards,
    MM

    P.S. Please note that this blog will probably contain writing on "mature" topics (i.e., thoughts & feelings about sexual topics) at some point. I am just letting you know this, in case you were/are thinking about giving your students this web address when you quote the source material. I don't recall what age your students are, so I thought it only prudent & responsible to mention this to you.

    ReplyDelete