Thursday, January 7, 2010

Some Cool Quotes

Sometimes I include quotes in my Blips. Here are some that I like & wanted to use, but were more than the alloted 140 chars. ;)

“No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, & love of power.” ~P. J. O'Rourke

“To live for results would be to sentence myself to continuous frustration. My only sure reward is in my actions and not from them.” ~Hugh Prather

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

"What's encouraging about meditation is that even if we shut down, we can no longer shut down in ignorance. We see very clearly that we're closing off. That in itself begins to illuminate the darkness of ignorance." ~Pema Chodron

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." ~Samuel Adams

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." ~Jeff Cooper [NOTE: I would argue against the latter point: The evil in some (wo)men's hearts isn't necessarily a permanent state of being; I believe that people can be persuaded to a better path through other means. While the rifle might be the most immediate, short-term solution, it is not always the wisest.]

"The Prohibitionist must always be a person of no moral character; for he cannot even conceive of the possibility of a man capable of resisting temptation." ~Aleister Crowley

"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Indian cinema has been delivering a certain aesthetic to its audience very successfully for years and I can say without any shame that I love song and dance. I'd hate to see that disappear and as an artist I am happiest to put my all into an art form, as you do with song and dance." ~Aishwarya Rai

"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state & remain in it. This is a kind of death." ~Anais Nin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some quotes that I either have used in Blips, or plan to use in the future:

"Democracy means that when there's a knock in the door at 3 am, it's probably the milkman." ~Winston Churchill

"The best jockey hinders the horse the least." ~Eddie Arcaro

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson

"The first affirmation I need is really my own. I don't look beyond that. I don't read what's written about it. For me the fun is making the film." ~Woody Allen

"It was only when I realized how actors have the power to move people that I decided to
pursue acting as a career." ~Cate Blanchett

"I didn’t know how to manufacture an opportunity, but I was determined that when a chance came my way I would be ready." ~Sheila Chandra

"Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art." ~Kurt Cobain

"Celebrity is death.. celebrity. That's the worst thing that can happen to an actor." ~John Cusack

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." ~Bob Dylan

"Food is life, life is food. If you don't like my approach you are welcome to go down to MacDonalds." ~Keith Floyd

"Picasso had his pink period and his blue period. I am in my blonde period right now." ~Hugh Hefner

"Listening to music, someone’s gone ahead making a wind pattern and you’re following in the shadow of that pattern and moving through it. When you’re in the front singing, you’re the beginning." ~Antony Hegarty

"All those rich lists in the Sunday Times are so far off the mark. I don't know about anyone else's, but mine definitely is. It used to go up millions even though I'd just been sitting around doing nothing." ~Mick Jagger

"Record companies, believe me, no matter what record company you're with, they're going to try to hype you, because, really, all record companies are interested in is making money." ~Elton John

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." ~John Lennon

"My music will go on forever. Maybe it's a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts. My music will go on forever." ~Bob Marley

"Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn't that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you." ~Marilyn Monroe

"O great creator of being grant us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives." ~Jim Morrison

"I really, really do generally, first and foremost, make creative decisions based on what feels right, and anything monetary follows if it’s good, I believe." ~Jamie Oliver

"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't going away." ~Elvis Presley

"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson

"Dancing and singing were always like games to me. I sang constantly." ~Tarkan

"One thing I don't feel is separation from the crowd. I don't feel like we're speaking from a platform, I feel like we are communicating on the same level." ~Eddie Vedder

No comments:

Post a Comment