Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A First Post

Hello there & welcome, whoever you are. :) Chances are, you've probably landed here after checking out my Blip.fm profile & are now wondering what this space is all about.

So first, a little background information on this blog: I created this blog in conjunction with my Blip.fm account. First came the Twitter account (which I'm keeping a secret for now -- that's a not-so-subtle hint that it's not @musicalmind ;) ), then the Blip.fm account, & then the blog. In truth, I only created the Twitter account so that I could interact with my favorite Blipsters. And I'm keeping my Twitter account locked down & private, because I don't wish to be followed by the world there.

My attitude towards tweeting & blipping is highly reflective of my attitude towards a lot of subjects: I honestly don't care to have 5 zillion followers. Frankly, I'm simply amazed that I even have as many Blip followers as I currently do -- 1718 followers at last count. Wow. While I do sincerely appreciate the follows, I don't play music for others' approval. I play it for my own enjoyment & the enjoyment of other like-minded souls there. People who are on the same wavelength as me, & don't necessarily need a translation. Everyone else, especially those stuck in their own self-imposed musical boxes, can take a flying leap. ;)

I'm extraordinarily open-minded as far as music is concerned. In other words, I'm not going to play classic rock or alternative all day long, so you can just kiss that expectation goodbye right now. :-P I like almost every genre of music with the exception of country western, and then even there, I can make some minor exceptions.

I'm also frankly annoyed with people who are stuck in "racially & culturally delineated" boxes as well. Of course, this problem has started to fade to a large extent, but, as an example, there are still a hell of a lot of white kids that only stick to indie, rock, metal, pop, punk, &/or alternative, (or some combination thereof), & don't seem to give a rat's ass about anything else out there. (And that's just one example of the "frozen mind" syndrome that I'm talking about. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own taste & their own opinions. I just think that a whole lot of people are losing out on what they haven't yet been able to wrap their minds around.)

I'm gonna play hip-hop, rap, salsa, jazz, classical, du-wop, zydeco, rai, electronica, as well as musical genres from people, places, & eras that are as vast as this wonderful planet of ours. It's time to get over your cultural biases right now. I'll have none of that. Time to expand your minds, people. Step outside of your comfort zone. Take a big flying leap (into the unknown), pun intended. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, the reason I created this blog (as well as my Blip & Twitter accounts) under the "musicalmind" identity was so that I could remain anonymous & speak my mind in an uncompromising & undiluted fashion (or at least as much as humanly possible without revealing anything tremendously revealing on a personal level). In these online spaces, I frankly want to be known solely for my thoughts & musical taste, & don't care to divulge too many concrete personal details like (real) name, rank, & serial number. That way, I can express what I truly think & feel without feeling hemmed in by other people's opinions, judgments, & expectations.

The personal details aren't really important & just get in the way of minds connecting on a deeper level. You can still know a person without knowing these sorts of minutiae.

If you want to get know me, you can. By knowing the larger thoughts & ideas that I present here.

So if you want to learn something new about music, just stick with me, kiddo.

Over and out.

Peace,
MM (Or M&M, as some Blipsters like to call me ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment